It is common knowledge that medium-sized companies (100 employees +) structurally outsource online marketing activities. Well-known organizations such as Gartner or Forrester investigate this with some regularity and it remains as popular as ever. Larger companies based on the number of employees (500+) often have a complete online marketing department and only outsource specialist tasks. Specific B2B online marketing activities are handled in-house. With the addition that setting up licenses is outsourced.
In the first quarter of 2017, Jelba conducted a survey among more than 100 SMEs active in the B2B sector. Among this group was investigated to what extent they choose to independently perform the online related marketing tasks in-house or to what extent they want to outsource them.
Online marketing is becoming increasingly important for business
From the reactions it was striking that SMEs fully endorse the importance of online activities for the business. We have listed the most frequently heard reactions from directors and/or owners to outsource online marketing for you.
- Complexity of B2B online marketing is increasing. Various specialist knowledge is needed and can no longer be combined in 1 or 2 persons.
- Importance of B2B online marketing is increasing rapidly for turnover. Traditional sales methods are becoming less effective and profitable (cold calling, trade fairs, physical mailings, advertising in trade media). Potential customers are orienting themselves more and more via online channels. Also in traditional B2B markets.
- Online marketing is not a core business. Companies don’t really know where to start, what direction to take or who within the company could do the work resulting from the online marketing strategy.
- Cheaper and more focused. An additional advantage of outsourcing is that there is less risk for the own company and that it can be asked for results in a more targeted way.
Goedkoper en gerichter. Uitbesteden heeft als bijkomend voordeel dat er minder risico is voor de eigen onderneming en gerichter gevraagd kan worden naar resultaten.
- Creativity in campaign. Companies often have marketing experience with exhibitions and print but the knowledge and experience with online campaigns is lacking.
We have also asked this group which tasks they prefer to outsource. The following results were obtained:
Bron: Onderzoek Jelba onder 100 MKB bedrijven in de B2B
The following answers were given to the question whether insourcing Online marketing would be a strategic option:
- Yes, this is certainly an option for us, our online activities are limited and we focus on physical customer contact: 5%.
- Yes, we have this ambition but we see this investment in people and technology in the longer term: 8%.
- Yes, we have this ambition but we will only invest in online when our ERP and DWM systems are completely in order: 5%
- No, it is not an option because people with the necessary experience and training are scarce in this region: 37%.
- No, it is not an option because we cannot make such a department profitable at the moment. It requires different expertise and experienced leadership in that field to run such a department. 41%
- I don’t know: 4%
Based on these results among 100 SMEs, the trend is similar to that of the larger companies. B2B Marketing online is becoming increasingly important as part of regular business operations. Organising this specialism independently within the own company is not attractive and the SMEs that want to play an active role in online marketing choose to outsource.
You know that there are opportunities for your business online, since 95-98% of professional buyers search online. You want more revenue from new and existing customers through online campaigns. As a specialist in B2B lead generation, B2B e-commerce and B2B online marketing within construction, industry, transport and logistics, we know better than anyone that setting up and updating a website or webshop is a huge challenge. We formulate a digital growth strategy, build the website and then run it through effective online marketing.
All B2B internet experts at Jelba act as the online marketing department for the customer. We are colleagues. That’s how we act. Do you want to take maximum advantage of the digital opportunities in B2B and take on a low risk? Then Jelba is your partner. You get your own online marketing department for less than the price of 1 FTE. We charge based on results = more turnover. We DO!
Do you have additions or remarks? Let us know and send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Thanks in advance.
The goal of all our customers is to realize more sales online. We ensure that they succeed in this mission. If you are a B2B company, then we are happy to provide insight into your online opportunities and give advice on where you stand in comparison to your competition. Click here to request this scan.